Saturday, January 20, 2007

Style for the House

One problem I keep facing (see below for a great example...) is the melding of styles that I love in the design of the home. Fortunately, Zach and I agree on the overall style of the house. We both like simple, open, modern interiors, with lots of storage, good functionality, and for it to be as efficient as possible. We both like the Frank Lloyd Wright style with strong lines and the low pitch roofs. Lots of character without being too complex. Tomek Residence (Riverside, IL) - 1904

... Next... We also like the design and colors of IKEA kitchens. Here is an example of what we were thinking, cabinet wise (not layout) RED is now on our minds. The kitchen planner is a great tool that they have. You can lay the room out (dimensions, windows, door placement, etc.), fill it with the right cabinets, and get a price on everything. You can also view it in 3D (I tried to cut and paste my kitchen design and couldn't do it, so I'll work on that later). Just to keep everyone filled in...IKEA Portland is coming to us this summer. The official ground breaking took place July 2006.

Finally (not really, but for the sake of space)....Here is a picture from my recent trip to Mexico. We both love the foyer type entrances, use of color, and the open layouts of the spanish style homes. Still working on convincing Zach we need an atrium with an indoor fountain...
From what I've said so far I know it is hard to believe that we actually have a design in mind that we both like and can work with but I think we have something good. The interior will be a little harder. I had trouble getting AutoCad examples posted (earlier blog is missing the links) I will keep working on getting AutoCad layers posted.

No comments: